My sister recently pointed out that Sonic is now serving bratwursts. She kept going on and on about how delish they are. And then it occurred to me that maybe she didn't know how simple re-creating the recipe would be. So today, after picking the children up for school, I went to Sonic for a milkshake and to spy on their menu brats. Super simple. Super easy. Super yummy when made in your kitchen and not in a fast food joint.
It didn't take much twisting of the arm to convince my hubby that we needed brats tonight for dinner. Here's how ours looked:
- A package of bratwurst (the ones you find in the cold cut/hotdog section of your grocery store
- hotdog buns
- spicy mustard
- a can of sauerkraut (drained and lightly rinsed)
- a medium onion (halved and sliced)
- olive oil
- celery salt
- salt and pepper
- In a small pan, drizzle a little olive oil and heat on medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until soft and starting to brown.
- In a small sauce pot, heat the sauerkraut with a tiny bit of water (since you drained the original "juice") until heated through.
- Grill your brats until they crack and get a little black in places. (I guess you could also bake them or boil them, but grilling them in best.)
- Heat the hotdog buns in the microwave (I keep mine in their bag, with the bag open)
Once all of these things are done, just assemble your brat to your liking, sprinkling it with celery salt, salt, and pepper to taste.
WAY better than anything Sonic could come up with and made to taste. How could it not be good?