Sunday, November 6, 2011

Slow Cooker Apples(auce)

My mother recently spent the weekend in the Appalachian mountains for her birthday, and while there she got her hands on some apples. Not just some apples. Massive amounts of apples. Pink Lady apples to be exact. Her garage has boxes and boxes of pretty pink lady apples spilling out of them.

The problem: My mother doesn't cook. She's more of a "heat-it-up" kind of woman. So, she told me I could have full access to all of these apples.

Recently, I came across an applesauce recipe that I thought was pretty interesting, particularly because it was made in a slow cooker. But, I'm not a huge fan of applesauce. It's the consistency. Something about it freaks me out. So I've been trying to figure out how I can work with these apples without making traditional, mashed up applesauce.

Behold!


This is, of course, before the cooking process. I'm not sure what to call it. Granola Cored Apples? 

Anyway, here's the information.

Ingredients:
  • 6 medium sized apples of your choosing
  • 1/2 c light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granola
  • 1/4 cup cranberries
  • 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
Process:
  1. Combine brown sugar, granola, cranberries, and pumpkin pie spice in a bowl
  2. Wash your apples thoroughly and then halve them going side to side**
  3. Core the halves using a sharp paring knife. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just get all the middle bits out.
  4. Put the two halves back together, so that it looks like an apple again, and fill the cored middle with your granola mixture.
  5. Place the filled apples in your slow cooker
  6. Pour orange juice in the bottom of your slow cooker
  7. Cook on high for 2 hours and then on warm for 2 hours.
You can then spoon each full apple directly out onto individual serving dishes. Serve with a scoop of Vanilla Bean ice cream.


I can't even explain to you how good this is. It's restaurant quality good. It's close-your-eyes-and-purr good. It's why-did-I-serve-this-in-my-kids-plastic-bowl good.


*If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, you will need 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp ground cloves.

**If you have an apple corer, you don't necessarily have to halve your apples. I halve mine for two reasons. First, I don't have a corer. Second, that little break up of apple allows the granola mixture to kind of seep in between the two halves, which I think spices them up more.

No comments:

Post a Comment