Sunday, December 4, 2011

Arroz Mexicano

I love food. All kinds of food. There's just about nothing I won't eat, and I'll pretty much try anything at least once. But one of my all time favorite dishes ever is Mexican Rice. Yes, I'm fully aware that it's probably not "authentic" Mexican Rice when I order it in the restaurants. But I love it anyway.

I've tried to make it a few times with different sorts of recipes. Most of those recipes were massive culinary failures.

Until now.

A successful Mexican Rice

I adapted this recipe from a couple of different recipes. I like how flexible it is.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup rice
  • 1 small white onion, minced
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 medium sized carrot, minced
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 cups of water
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/8 tsp celery salt (optional)
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions:
  1. In a pan (that you have a lid for), heat oil and butter over high heat until really hot
  2. Add onion, garlic, carrot, salt and pepper, celery salt, and cayenne pepper. Saute for 3 minutes.
  3. Add rice and saute for 5 minutes. You will need to stir this almost constantly. Your rice may start to brown, which is a good thing. (If it doesn't brown, that's ok, too.)
  4. Add water, being careful of the steam that's going to try to smack you in the face.
  5. Drop in the tomato paste and just whirl it around a bit in the rice. Don't completely mix it.
  6. Bring everything to a boil and then turn your stove down to the lowest possible heat setting. (I put mine on warm. If you have a gas stove, you want it low enough that the flame is just about to go out.)
  7. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  8. Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. DO NOT TAKE THE LID OFF AT ALL UNTIL IT HAS SAT FOR 15 MINUTES. If you let the moisture escape, your rice won't finish cooking.
  9. Remove lid, fluff with fork, add any more salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
Sauteing 
Simmering (I cheated and lifted the top. Do not do this.)
My family loves this rice. It's diverse enough to be served with a number of different dishes, so it's very versatile.
And yummy. Don't forget yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment