Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My Mother-In-Law's Peanut Butter Balls

I just spent a glorious 5 days with my in-laws. And I mean that for real. I realize a lot of people aren't lucky enough to have really awesome in-laws. I am that lucky. When I go to my MIL's house, I always feel welcome and happy and stress free. It's a good change from normal life.

We always go up right before actual Christmas so we can do our celebrations with them and then be home for Santa's big visit. When I got there, we had some work to do to prepare for the festivities. One of these things was to make the Peanut Butter Balls.

We can't have Christmas up there without the Peanut Butter Balls.

While they can be a little tedious to make with regard to time, they are actually really simple to make.

Ingredients for balls*:
  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 box powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (we use Reese peanut butter for this)
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 sticks margarine, melted
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
Mix all of the above together, adding the butter last. Use your hands. It's more fun.

Ingredients for chocolate:
  • 1/2 block of paraffin wax (we used Gulf Wax)
  • 1 6oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate morsels
Melt the wax and chocolate in a double boiler or pot on pot.


Pot on Pot Boiler




How to "assemble" the peanut butter balls:
Rolled Peanut Butter Balls
  • Pinch off a small amount of peanut butter mixture and roll it into a ball in the palm of your hand. It shouldn't be any wider than a quarter, really. Although, I guess the size can be up to you. We made 4 batches at once and had well over a hundred peanut butter balls. The smaller you roll, the more there are.
  • Drop each ball into the melted chocolate mixture, rolling it around until it's covered.
  • Remove the ball with a slotted spoon so the extra chocolate can drip back into the pot
  • Lay your peanut butter balls on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper so they can dry. Drying won't take long.
  • Store your peanut butter balls in a sealed container until ready to enjoy.


Chocolatey Goodness!
They are seriously sinful and yummy. All weekend, I'd watch people popping these things in their mouths. How can you not love a peanut butter ball?!


*I suspect you can leave some of these ingredients out for those who can't have, say, nuts or coconut, and these would still be just as yummy.



1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had such a nice time with your in-laws. I'm also lucky enough to have fabulous in-laws, so I'm always happy to hear when friends share a similar experience. These are otherwise known in Ohio as "Buckeyes," and they are one of my favorite treats. I've never actually made them before, but I might give them a shot this year.

    ReplyDelete